Wednesday, December 5, 2012

The Great Escape


Scott O’Lone
Blog #3
ENG 3080J
Family Stories

            My great-great-grandfather, who I never met, has built a legacy within my family. A long time ago, him and his siblings were living in an orphanage. With poor conditions and strict adults in charge, he planned to break out. He took charge and assembled his family. His family consisted of three young girls, a teenage brother, and a younger brother. Their parents had both passed away and left my great-great grandfather, Paul, to protect the family. Paul’s biggest concern with his family was the fact that they will be split up. Each kid will eventually be put in a new family.
            Paul constructed a plan to escape. An unoriginal but effective string of bed sheets hanging from the window. Each kid escaped in the pouring rain and scaled the fence. Then it was Paul’s job to support his large family. He got a job as a landscaper and house painter. They ended up in Illinois, where my father was born and raised. My father’s life would be extremely different if he didn’t grow up in Illinois, affecting my life as well. But then again, you could say that about any event in your entire life. I thought it was a cool story though.

1 comment:

  1. Scott, it sounds like your great great grandfather was a great man. I wish i could have met him. I can see a lot of him in you. I believe you are the leader of our house. And i believe if we were trapped you would plan an escape and take care of us. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.. or should i say the apple doesn't climb down some bed sheets to far from the tree!

    ReplyDelete