Thursday, December 6, 2012

Appalachians don't have inbred one eyed children!

Blog 6: Discourse I feel the media is mostly to blame for the stereotypes and prejudices towards Appalachia. In movies such as Deliverance, Harold and Kumar 2, and The Hills Have Eyes; they represent Appalachians as barbaric, unintelligent, inbred hillbillies. The education level of Appalachians may be low in certain areas, but many Appalachians have families and jobs and contribute to society as much as others. Appalachians have very close family bonds and many do not leave the town in which they are born. I will admit that before taking this course I only had stereotypes of Appalachians and did not know anything about their culture and way of living.

2 comments:

  1. I liked this post a lot because it completely corresponds with how I viewed Appalachia prior to taking this class. Had I not taken this class I'm sure you and I would both still see the stereotypes of Appalachia that have been depicted countless times in the media

    ReplyDelete
  2. The interesting title made me want to read your blog. I would have to agree with you on the importance of media in appalachian stereotypes. There are a lot of jokes in television directed towards "hill folk." It is very hard to understand why it is still okay to poke fun at rural dwellers.

    Good post dude!

    ReplyDelete