Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Discourse- Appalachia


      Before taking this Junior Composition class I had no idea what to expect. When we were first assigned to read Whistlin' and Crowin' Women of Appalachia, I thought it was going to be a boring book about the roles of women throughout the Appalachian region. After reading this book I was proved wrong in many ways. This book taught me a lot about the region, culture, and values of Appalachia. I love how in Appalachia there is a sense of community and family throughout the region. The Appalachian people are hard working, loving, and truly care for another. Another thing the book taught me was that the Appalachian people have a very strong work ethic. Coal mining, farm work, and blue collar jobs are relevant through out the region and play a major role in the income of most Appalachian families. 
     Watching some episodes of the television series "Justified" also gave me an idea of the current state of Appalachia. The tv series showcased many of the values that Sohn talked about in Whistlin' and Crowin. Reading The Hunger Games also displayed Appalachian values. The districts were based off of hard working, tight bonded families that worked blue collar jobs and had a heavy emphasis on hunting and mining. 
     Although I wasn't here for the class speakers, I still have talked with people who were born and raised in Appalachia. I spoke with Father Mark Moore for my exploratory essay and he was born in Appalachia. He explained to me that the Appalachian people are very hardworking, loving, and caring people. He expressed that poverty is an issue in many Appalachian regions, which is upsetting because they are very hardworking people.
     I am very thankful that I took this junior composition class. Before enrolling in this class I had no clue about the Appalachian community and what it was all about. Because of the in class assignments, readings, and listening to songs from Appalachian people, I now have an idea of what Appalachia is all about. I hope in the future to model my way of living off of the Appalachian people, which is being a hardworking, loving, caring person. 

1 comment:

  1. I think that a lot of different cultures could be considered hardworking, loving, and caring. I think that these qualities stand out more for Appalachian people than they do for other cultures because they have so many stereotypes that say otherwise. Appalachians are usually said to be uneducated, violent, and ignorant. When they prove all these things to be wrong (Whistlin and Crowin) it stands out to us. I'm agree with you, I'm also glad I had the opportunity to expand what I know about this area through books, television, and interviews.

    ReplyDelete