Friday, December 7, 2012

Family Story: Nuts and Bolts

Every year around Christmas time I knew to expect a holiday tin with our family party mix Nuts & Bolts. I never knew the day it would happen, but tasting it made my day. This holiday mix started when my uncles were young, and one of their friends made a delicious party mix. My great-aunt, who I considered my grandmother, asked for the recipe, so she could make it. For more than thirty years, she made it around Christmas for her family and friends. When I got older she taught me how to make it. Still to this day, I vividly remember her pouring recommended ingredients in the sauce, and once she was finished would pour a few more spoonfuls never measuring exactly how much she put. The first time I saw it I laughed hysterically.  It became so popular with my friends that I made it several times throughout the year. Then toward the last few years of her life, she called me so I could come make it for her.




Now that she is gone, I make it only around Christmas time. Throughout the year, we can and save our bacon grease for this special event. I realize to those who hear this story it probably seems like nothing. However, to me it is an important memory and tradition that I will never forget. I hope that every year I can tell my cousins, future children, and future nieces and nephews about the special woman that taught me how to make our holiday party mix.

1 comment:

  1. Sarah, this story made me laugh when you mentioned how your grandma never had exact measurements because it reminds me of how my mom cooks...although she would probably be better off using exact measurements sometimes. This story shows how much you really care for your family, and its also cool to see that you have decided to follow along in her footsteps and make the recipe for your friends so that they can enjoy it as well. It is a great way to remember her now, and in the future.

    ReplyDelete