Thursday, December 13, 2012

Blog 3: Around the World

One of the most notable stories that has always been told to my family members is the one he tells about him sailing around the world. Now before you get too excited, he was not like that teenager who just recently accomplished that feat on his own, rather it was in the 1950's while he was in the U.S. Navy. My grandpa was part of the USS Rudolph, and was mostly stationed in various islands in the Pacific Ocean as he was part of the Korean War. However, when war time was over, he was given the luxury to be able to sail around the world on the aircraft carrier.

He tells many stories of his experiences while on the ship, whether it be the time his best friend was almost eaten alive by a shark, or the many claims he has of meeting countless girls in every country. But whichever side-story he throws in there to spice things up, he still is able to exhibit an overall attitude of pride an accomplishment for what he did while serving our country,

My favorite part of the story is the more tangible item that comes with it. In my grandpa's basement is a huge certificate that is decorated with maritime figures and mermaids, etc and congratulate my grandpa for his achievement of sailing around the world. It lists the starting port, and ending port, as well as the dates. It is very detailed and extravagant, and truly a sight to see. 

This story is something I will definitely pass down to my children, as it is always a popular conversation already among my cousins, siblings, aunts and uncles.  

No comments:

Post a Comment