Sunday, December 2, 2012

Discourse communities

Being a Communication Studies major, I am told that I am supposed to be able to adapt to any discourse communities I encounter; however, I am not exactly sure what kinds of communities to expect.  Considering I cannot seem to pick a direction for my life, perhaps it is better to speak in generalities.

For a fair amount of college students, I suspect an office job will be an eventuality when speaking of careers.  Where that office is located can create a very unique discourse community.  If you come from somewhere like Columbus and you end up working somewhere like Alabama, you may be a little out of place.  In order to learn the rhetoric and discourse, the best course of action may simply be to sit back and observe your coworkers and fellow citizens of the area.  Once you feel you have a good grip on the rhetoric, test your knowledge out with someone you are most comfortable with.  If they seem to agree that you have learned the rhetoric well, you can apply it to the rest of your environment.

Other than geographic type rhetoric, there could be some amount that you must learn strictly in your work environment.  In that case, again, it is best to observe your coworkers.  Using the rhetoric well may require some practice in talking to superiors and electronic communication, though, which can be difficult for some.  In the workplace, though, proper use of rhetoric mixed with a good work ethic can mean the difference between a promotion and a reprimand, though.

1 comment:

  1. Though I don't expect my engineering major to lead to me a desk job, I do agree that no matter where you go, you need to gain an understanding for the rhetoric and discourse of the area. Having grown up in Columbus and having spent many of my summers in northern Minnesota, I have experienced this first hand with the exception of the work setting. I have seen friends visit there with me and struggle with the rhetoric of the small town in lake country. Perhaps if they would have taken a step back to observe as you suggest, it may have been a bit easier for them.

    ReplyDelete