Thursday, December 6, 2012

Discourse


Prior to taking this class my knowledge of Appalachia was absolutely none. As embarrassing as that may seem Appalachia was never an area that was brought up to me growing up or in school. I remember early on in the class we related the "Beverly Hill Billies" to Appalachian culture. I remember how strange it was to me that I had been attending Ohio University for over two years now and never knew that those were two and the same... After taking this class however, I now have knowledge of what Appalachian culture is and I can reassure those who were like me that this culture is far from the "Beverly Hill Billies". 
As a result of this class I was able to open my eyes to a whole new culture that was just around the corner from my school. After reading from many different voices each and every one further reinforced how unique and special this culture really is. Starting with Sohn and her dissertation we as a class were allowed into these three remarkable women's lives to understand that a lack of education is far from the truth in this small mountain communities. Before this class I am sure many of us believed these areas were poor, uneducated, and unable to leave the area that seemed to have them trapped through the generations, however, nothing could be farther from the truth. If given the opportunity Sohn proved that women from this culture were more then capable of achieving a college degree and doing it with 10x the responsibility that I have. As far as leaving the mountains goes the people of Appalachia do not want to leave their beloved land and would prefer anything but a city life. This same idea is seen in the Hunger Games when Katniss is repulsed by the idiotic clothing warn by capital citizens. Although one culture may seem behind to us other cultures might seem ridiculous to them. I have extremely appreciative for taking this class because without it I'm sure I would still be unaware of a culture with so much to offer and is so close to home.


No comments:

Post a Comment