Thursday, December 6, 2012

Gypsies vs. Appalachians. UFC 120. BLOG 5

In my exploratory research essay I compared and contrasted the stereotypes that Appalachians and gypsies face. I researched how these two groups only reinforce people’s stereotypes and how these stereotypes might not be prejudice but may in fact just be characteristics. I also justified their actions by exploring how their culture differs from our own and things such as young marriage/pregnancy were only examples of cultural differences. I grew up near a gypsy community I developed my own stereotypes of them and had not taken the time to know their culture until this research assignment. I also have spent many years in an Appalachian area, which I knew nothing about until this course. In my paper I was able to get a better understanding of two groups of people that I had stereotyped and judged before actually knowing who they were. The expression “Never judge a book by its cover” is relevant for gypsies and hillbillies too.

1 comment:

  1. I'll admit, I'm also pretty ignorant about "Gypsy" culture. As with many things, my main source of knowledge about "Gypsies" comes solely from British and American media. While I don't believe I've ever seen a film depicting a stereotypically "Gypsy" villain, as would relate to our fondness for American horror film "hillbillies", I've also never seen a "Gypsy" leading man. The only "Gypsy" supporting roles I recall having seen on screen have all been dirty, poor, and so terribly affected, dialectically, that they're nearly incomprehensible. In light of this revelation, I can't help but compare the depiction of the British "Gypsy" culture with that of Appalachian culture. Therefore, bravo! And do tell; just how accurate is Brad Pitt's performance in Guy Ritchie's "Snatch?"

    ReplyDelete