Thursday, December 6, 2012

#5: Exploratory Essay Thoughts


My exploratory research essay focused on the topic of Appalachian identity and what it means to identify as Appalachian. I chose this topic because of my own Appalachian roots on one side of my family, and the fact that I’ve lived in Athens County for most of my life. In researching this topic I hoped to come to a better understanding of what Appalachian identity is, whether it’s something I can rightfully claim to be, or if the identity of “Appalachian” only really matters in that it gives people an easy way to refer to the region in a political/economic sense.

The articles I found had some interesting insights on what defines Appalachian identity and its uses as a political tool. For one, on the individual level it can be empowering as something to be proud of, so it can have the positive effect of having self-esteem in one’s identity and having something to stand for in times of protest (such as against coal, etc). So even if the label “Appalachian” did not naturally exist within members of the general Appalachian community until it was placed on them by the rest of the world, it can still have a positive effect.

About half of my essay was devoted to an interview I conducted with my dad about his experiences growing up in northern Kentucky and his views on Appalachian identity. It was through this interview that I really came to feel like I could call myself Appalachian, at least in part because when I asked him if he would consider Athens and the life we live now to be ‘Appalachian,’ he said yes. In researching this essay I’ve come to the conclusion that being Appalachian doesn’t have to be about fitting into the stereotypes or existing definitions of what it means to be Appalachian. After all, there really is no one official definition, and many of the definitions that do exist- both good and bad- are based around coal and the “backwater”/frozen-in-time life that tends to be associated with it. But not everyone who lives in Appalachia or comes from Appalachian families live that lifestyle anymore, and I don't think that makes you any less Appalachian unless you personally choose to identify yourself a different way.

1 comment:

  1. I love your idea for your exploratory research essay! It is interesting to hear your experiences, and what you have learned. Also, I enjoy learning who identifies as Appalachian and what makes them feel this way. My only suggestion would be posting a picture from one of your interviews or something that you learned in your research. Great post, Helen!

    ReplyDelete