Monday, December 10, 2012

Grad School Discourse


Being a college student at OU, and living at my parent’s place during breaks and over the summer won’t last forever (hopefully). In a matter of about a year and a half, my life will likely change a lot – I’ll graduate college, try and grab a job, and move back to Chicago. Career-wise, I really don’t have a clue what I’ll pursue, but I do hope to go to grad school a few years after undergrad. Depending on which area I choose to pursue, I’ll have to beef up my discourse skills in order to stay afloat during discussions and other assignments throughout grad school.






Since I’m unsure what I’d like to study in grad school, I’ll likely have to study up before I start up classes. Luckily, the internet will greatly assist me in this voyage. There’ll be plenty of essays, research, videos and documentaries, speeches, articles, blogs, pictures, and books readily available for me to check out, and these sources will likely influence my decision in which field I’ll choose to pursue. I'll definitely have to take classes more seriously, and interact with my professors and classmates in an intellectual fashion.

I predict that the next year and a half at OU will definitely help me get a feel for the discourse within the graduate school community. I already have class with a few graduate students, and I’ve noticed they’re very active in group discussions and they seem to genuinely enjoy the material. So I’ll have to revamp my vocabulary and hopefully find a field that really interests me. Lastly, I’ll have to look the part. My wardrobe is half t-shirts, so I’ll have to upgrade clothing in order to look like an all-important graduate student.


(This was the Bonus blog for Blog 4)

No comments:

Post a Comment