Monday, December 3, 2012

Research: Homicide in Appalachia

   

    My exploratory research paper was focused on homicide in Appalachia. I had heard rumors and stereotypes claiming that there are more cases of homicide in this region for a multitude of reasons, including the difficult terrain, low population count, and high levels of gun ownership. I began researching this topic because I have always loved murder mysteries and am fascinated by the criminal mind. Often, the media centered around this region paints a picture of barbaric "hillbillies" who all have guns and sit on their front porch waiting to shoot. Not only this, but horror stories (read: movies) often depict a group of innocent, usually young people getting lost in the wooded mountains of Appalachia only to be scared off by a killer roaming the woods.
         During my research, I did find that Appalachia has a high homicide rate. The most interesting part of my research, reiterated in my essay, was the story of an attempted murder on the Appalachian trail. Two friends were camping together one evening when a stranger approached their campsite. Seeming friendly enough, he struck up conversation and after talking a while, the two campers invited him to stay for dinner. The three had a meal and continued on to say their goodbyes. Shortly thereafter, however, the stranger came back with a gun and shot both campers without a word. The two managed to escape, driving crazed with bullets in them down the road seeking a house with a phone to call for medical help. The men ended up surviving, and because of their quick action, the stranger was caught. As it turns out, the man who attempted double homicide on the Appalachian trail was released from prison a few years prior to this event after having served half of 30 year sentence for a successful double homicide, less than a mile away from where the two men were camping.
I thought this research was interesting; you always hear stories about murders in heavily populated metropolitan areas but the ones that happen far from anything but nature are sometimes overlooked.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Yeah, I wonder why the homicide rate is so high in Appalachia. You would think due to the closeness of community everyone would love each other.

    Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a story! I'm glad to be just hearing it now, otherwise I might have been decidedly more fretful in years past. One of my best friends used to hike the Appalachian trail back when we were in high school. He's a super friendly guy, therefore I'm almost positive he would've behaved in just the same way as the hikers in your story. Had I known there really were crazed, homicidal hikers on the trail, I might've tried to stop him from going!

    ReplyDelete