Sunday, December 2, 2012

Family Story

While stories are integral to families and their histories, my family does not have any particular tales about ancestors that have been handed down.   Instead, we tend to retell stories that we enjoy about ourselves or immediate family.  My friends and family tend to delight in hearing stories of my father's college days at OU, so those stories are told often.

Among family members my own age, I tend to retell my own tales of stupidity, pride, and overall humorous endeavors.  It is not a one-sided ordeal, though.  We trade stories back and forth trying to get laughs or one-up the other party.  These stories matter because they help the family to bond and respond with appropriate advice or a similar story.   None of our stories really have a great lesson to them or anything other than maybe "Don't get too drunk" or "Never mess with the cops" or something like that.  We tell stories to have fun and keep spirits high rather than to preserve a tradition or value.

As for a story that I want passed down to future generations, I do not really have one currently.  I would like to one day have one.  I want my story to have some aspect of bravery, comedy, joy, and some sort of valuable lesson all at once. I have no idea what I might do to create this story or how exactly it will be told, but I still crave it.  Until then, I suppose I will just continue to recount my recent exploits when applicable.

~Kevin Snider

No comments:

Post a Comment