Thursday, December 6, 2012

Discourse Analysis over Appalachia


A couple of the readings that have stuck with me the most in regard to what sense they created of being in Appalachia were Whistlin' and Crowin' Women of Appalachia along with The Hunger Games.  Sohn's book focused on the good and the bad, whereas in The Hunger Games, I felt like it mostly focused on the good parts about Appalachia (most negativity was thrown the Capitol's way).
While reading Sohn's book, I was able to get an idea of what it was like for these women living there.  There were beautiful mountains and landscape surrounding them, but they faced issues when it came to being a women and having little to no education.  I felt like the men in the book were portrayed in negative ways for the most part.  I didn't know what to think of it.  I was unable to be there for the speakers in class, but I read another classmate's discourse and they had mentioned how one of the women said that some abuse is very bad and violent.  Maybe there is some truth to this stereotype about the way men treat women in Appalachia, but again, I would not know being from Columbus.  In the book there was a strong sense of community as well and good things to focus on.  People worked hard, which is why they didn't focus on education as much.  In Sohn's book, I felt like she gave a realistic view from her own perspective based on the people she had interviewed and spent time with.  It's good to know that there are people who don't settle for the life that is expected of them.  They have goals and they reach them.  I enjoyed that part about the book the most.
With The Hunger Games, it created rather vivid pictures of how the Seam looked and the way people operated there.  I think that the way it was described falls in to how most people think of Appalachia, but the author didn't make it sound bad.  They just explained the surroundings as they were.  You were able to picture the landscape, the people, the jobs and more.  What I liked about this book is that I got a good sense of Appalachia overall.  The struggles the people faced didn't necessarily sound appealing, but what person doesn't have that issue?  What was nice about District 12 is that there was a decently strong community there.  Some people weren't as nice, but most people operated together.  No one would get Katniss or Gale in trouble for hunting because they were helping the markets make profit as well for the workers.  Everyone was able to provide something for someone and people watched over those in need.
Overall, my sense of Appalachia is pretty normal I would say.  I think it's a good area, with great landscape, a strong community in most areas, has strong family values and people are hardworking.  There are some people that do contribute to the stereotypes lingering around Athens that make you question things sometimes, but overall I have encountered very nice people just trying to make a living.  You have to look at Appalachia as just a normal place and not give in to the stereotypes you hear about.  It is what you make of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment