Thursday, December 6, 2012

Family Story

I have a family story that sticks in my mind more than any other.  It was about my grandfather on my mothers side.  He died before I was born which is very upsetting to me, but thats the way of life so I accept it.

My grandfather was a great man, or so I have been told.  My mother told me he could play guitar for hours and she would sit and listen.  She told me he had the biggest heart of anyone she knew.  I really wish I could have met him.

Anyway the story that my mother tells me is that my grandfather was in World War 2.  She told me he was stationed in Italy during the fall of Mussolini.  The most incredible thing she told me was, he saw the body of Mussolini hanging in the streets. He also witnessed when the body was taken down and beaten, as well as beheaded.  It's one of the stories that really makes me think about my grandfather.


Benito-Mussolini-9419443-2-402.jpg

2 comments:

  1. I too, have so many relatives including grandparents that I lost too early or never met at all. I feel your pain knowing they were wonderful people that would have been so interesting to meet. I think this a great story that shows a unique experience your grandfather had. Lastly, it shows the character of your grandfather in that he was so brave to serve our country. I'm grateful for his service!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tyler, I really like this story because I also had a grandpa that served in the military. I enjoy listening to his stories as well, so it is always cool to hear ones from others. This one especially is different because he was able to witness such an important part of WWII, and I am glad that these stories are still being kept alive by you and your family.

    ReplyDelete