Saturday, December 8, 2012

Past and Present: Coal Mining

I feel that almost everyone that lives in Appalachia has an opinion on coal mining. Some despise it, because they are worried about land or the health of their family. Others, like me, support it. Several members of my family have been in coal mining, and I realize it creates electricity. However, there are several things that worry me when it comes to coal mining. In the early 1900s coal mining was done underground, and led to black lung disease for many miners. Over time technology has improved, so underground miners can use respirators. Today many people do strip and surface mining as well.

This picture is with my friend's nephew over Thanksgiving break. He was quite proud of his West Virginia coal miner's hat.

I have noticed this is extremely important in Athens and surrounding areas. The speakers in class even discussed it for every question. I think it is important to this area and all others areas, because technology is advancing. We have learned that wind and solar energy is possible. While these are great advancements, they do not work 100% of the time and solar energy is even more expensive then fossil fuels. I enjoy hearing others opinions on these issues, and I think it is important to discuss with respect on both sides.

2 comments:

  1. As I read your blog, I was questioning what made you support coal mining exactly. I get that you worry about it, and for good reason. Black lung disease was a serious issue and then you have mishaps that occur that lead to tragedy. Coal mining is a serious job to take on. You make a valid point about technology advancing. I assume there will be new ways as time continues to advances.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to share a testimony on how mr benjamin helped me with loan of 2,000,000.00 USD to finance my marijuana farm project , I'm very grateful and i promised to share this legit funding company to anyone looking for way to expand his or her business project.the company is funding company. Anyone seeking for finance support should contact them on lfdsloans@outlook.com Mr Benjamin is also on whatsapp +1-989-394-3740 to make things easy for any applicant. 

    ReplyDelete