Monday, December 10, 2012

Blog 3: Family Story


           While my mom was growing up family was a big part of her life. Her mother, my grandma, had 4 sisters, 2 brothers, and a total of 22 cousins. During the year they would all gather every Sunday, and during the summer on Saturdays also, at her grandparents house on the river. In 1954 her grandpa became the superintendent of the River Boat Patrol at Griggs Dam in Columbus, Ohio. It was after retiring from the Columbus Police Department after 22 years that he took the job on the river. With that job came the house on the river where my mom and her family would all gather. The house was always full of family and friends and even people that were out on the river boating would stop in to grab a bite to eat or join in on the poker games. My mom’s grandma would always be busy cooking in the kitchen preparing pies, noodles, and biscuits from scratch for family and friends. During the warmer months of the year my mom and all her cousins would go play on the outdoor stone amphitheater, which they would call their castle. In the winter the older kids would take the younger ones outside to go sledding, play in the snow, and ice skate. 
            This story about my mom’s childhood is important to me because over time I think people can lose track of what is important in life such as family. When I think back to these stories it makes me appreciate the time that I have gotten to spend with all of my cousins and the memories that will be passed on through generations like my mom has passed hers down.

1 comment:

  1. Reading your story about your family gatherings, it really surprised me they were not from Appalachia. It seems like your family encapsulated the very values that Appalachian's hold true to their culture. Theirs and yours together provide a sense of strong family bonds, neighborliness, and love of place.

    I really love your input on what is important to our lives. I strongly believe family is the most important force in my life. They provide love, knowledge, and guidance about how to go through this crazy world we live in today. Without them, I would be lost.

    ReplyDelete