Thursday, December 13, 2012

Bonus Blog: In The Future....

The future for me is very unknown as of now. I am currently working towards becoming an Officer in the United States Marine Corps, and therefore cannot really pick where I will be living. However, I am excited for the fact that I will be able to see the world and meet various people and cultures. My main goal is to become a pilot, and one air base is located in Cherry Point, North Carolina. While this is not in Appalachia itself, I would imagine that there is still some Appalachian influence, or at least an atmosphere that comes along with living in the South. I have always had a certain interest in living in the South, mostly because of the stereotypical small towns and laid-back way of life that most people present it as. If I end up there, I plan to embrace this lifestyle as much as I can, and really immerse myself in the Southern culture. This could include trying new foods, learning a few words that I might not have known before, and a life in the South would not be complete without a few hunting trips every now and then.

Aside from the southern lifestyle, I would also enjoy living in one of America's most beautiful cities of Annapolis, Maryland. I have family members that live there, and the atmosphere there is amazing. Located right on the Chesapeake Bay, it is surrounded by fresh seafood and sailboats. I plan on adapting to this life of luxury, if I am fortunate enough, and learning the trades of sail-boating. The language there is not so much different, however, there is some southern influence. It is located near Washington D.C which is a culture of its own, so I may try to experience that as well, however it is too fast-paced for me.

Wherever I end up, I know that I will not take the environment for granted, and experience what it has to offer. However, it is important to me that I recognize where I came from, and still carry the values that my family and friends have taught me thus far.

1 comment:

  1. Kyle its awesome to see that you want to go into the marines. I never knew that was something you wanted to do. I to would love living on chesapeake bay I love seasfood and sailing. No matter where you end up just be yourself im sure you will adapt to the new lifestyle just fine!

    ReplyDelete