Monday, October 8, 2012

Whistlin' & Crowin' Review

When I finished reading Katherine Kelleher Sohn's book, Whistlin' and Crowin' Women of Appalachia, I had some mixed feelings.  I was not entirely sure if I should address the book as a scholary research work or as a narrative sort of study.  I suppose the end result of the book was a set of lessons which we as a country (and specifically our educational system) could learn when it comes to Appalachian students.  However, in  getting to these lessons, there were innumerable narratives from the subjects of the study as well as some of their family members.  It was these that I felt were being used to build empathy for the women in the books, in addition to simply studying their literacy practices.

I think this book adds a new perspective to what we think we know about Appalachian people.  It shows that Appalachians are tenacious, proud, strong, and independent.  I believe this is good for all to know because we tend to give Appalachians a bad name.  In response to the way the women in the book were portrayed, I think it was wise to give their backgrounds because they all seemed to share stories of being looked down upon, which I think is something that every person can relate to whether they are Appalachian or not.  Overall, I'd say this was a decent book when it comes to its message; it was a bit of a slow read, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment