Thursday, October 4, 2012

My Take on Whistlin' and Crowin' Women of Appalachia


After reading Whistlin’ and Crowin’ Women of Appalachia, I have to say I was surprised by the lives many of these women were living.  That was the most surprising factor of the book to me because it’s not a normal way of living from where I live.  Clearly, you’re going to have a different lifestyle based on where you grew up, but it was interesting to see how these women grew up in ways where education was so commonly not recognized.  I can’t imagine living a life where men prefer I don’t go to school so I can be by their side to provide for them around the house and our children.  I couldn’t handle that lifestyle.  I need more than that and education should be strongly valued, I would think. 

As for the reading, I enjoyed hearing the women’s stories from them.  It was a nice addition to the book.  It broke away from the feeling that this was a study as well.  I enjoy being thrown into someone’s story, and hearing about their lives from their own accounts really helped me as a reader.

I mentioned in my paper, and I will here as well.  I think it would have been good to find a way to shed a little more light on the men in a positive way if possible.  Unless if this is how most of them are, then you can’t really do so.  It’s hard to imagine that every man would be like this, and this book made me feel as though the men are all close-minded toward these women except a select few.  I have trouble accepting that.  In the end, this book’s focus is on the women of Appalachia so it’s not a critical factor.

I was able to relate to the way these women felt when it came to finding their own independence through college.  I have always liked to consider myself as a pretty independent person, but I really didn’t start to feel that way until I came to college.  It has helped me find a role I want to pursue in life and made me learn more about what is important as well.  Leaving home behind and coming to college helped me discover a lot more about myself, and I can tell it did the same for these women in this book.

1 comment:

  1. I think you did a good job with your response. I agree with you on enjoying hearing the women’s stories. I enjoyed seeing where they started in their literacy journey where they were in the book and the obstacles they overcame. I would also agree with you that I would wanted to see a little bit more positive light shed on men. Not every man could be as awful as the men described in the book. Finally, I agree that finding independence is an important theme that the book talks about. The women certainly found it in their life to becoming literate.

    ReplyDelete