Monday, October 8, 2012

Whislin' and Crowin' Response

When I first started reading Whislin' and Crowin' Women of Appalachia, I really had no idea if I would come to enjoy it or not. This is the first time that I have read an academic work like this dissertation before. The only books that I tend to enjoy on a regular basis are novels with more of a storyline to them, however I did find this book interesting. Having been born and raised in Ohio, the topic of Appalachian culture has been around me for years, but I have never studied it like I have with this book. The stories of these women were particularly inspiring to me. Their self motivation to attend college to better their personal lives and the lives of their families was impressive to me because of the common perception of the Appalachian people. It was great for me to see them to succeed as it has helped me to understand that these women are not much different form myself in the fact that I am currently seeking a college education. Overall, this was an enjoyable read for me.  

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this post because of its relevance in my life. Like you, I am from Ohio and Appalachia is not far from my home. This is a good post, but I may just suggest that you use an example from the book to help reiterate your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand your reaction here completely because reading books without plots (let alone dissertations for class) are hard to get through. I, too, was inspired by the women's stories of academic success in spite of the general feel toward Appalachians. I do agree with the abouve comment, though. An example from the book would have been helpful.

    ReplyDelete