Thursday, October 18, 2012

Family Stories

One story comes to my mind when I think of tradition and stories being passed down is the story of Rolling Rock(the beer) and my family. In the 1930's my great-grandpa immigrated to the United States from Germany. My great grandpa and a few of his friends (the Tito brothers) had this idea that they were going to come over to America and start a brewing company. When they actually got to America my great grandpa decided that he was going to start his life with his family and be a baker in the hills of Pennsylvania and not go with the boys to start the brewery. Little did my great grandpa know that this brewery would soon become the brewery with the most well known and delicious beer. My great grandpa was almost one of the co-founders of Rolling Rock. In our family we have a lot of the original bottles from when the Tito brothers first started brewing, we also have some serving platters with the Rolling Rock emblem on it as well as a few other Rolling Rock memorabilia.

I want to continue passing down this story in my family. I think that it's a super cool story that not a lot of people have. Even though my great grandpa didn't actually go with the brothers to start the brewery they still kept him in the loop throughout the whole business venture. They always ventured out into the hills to hang out with my great grandpa and catch up with him as well as bring him things. They remained friends throughout it all. I don't know if this story would be valuable to others or not, I just think it's a super cool story and super cool that I almost could have had free Rolling Rock beer for life. 

I may even know the answer to the much debated secret of the "33" on the bottle ;) 

4 comments:

  1. I thought this was a very cool story to read. It’s crazy how situations, like the one your great-grandpa faced, happen. I think it’s awesome that your family has some of the original bottles. Who knows what would of happened if he did go into business with those brothers. I’d be interested to know the answer to the ‘33’ on the bottle because I’ve heard lots of crazy stories about that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always think it's cool when someone is affiliated with a popular brand. I have a friend in my sorority whose grandfather owns a popular glass company, and recently she saw his products in Wal-mart. I think that it was cool that those brothers and a vision in mind and made it happen. As time wears on, maybe you can just start "fine tuning" the story until suddenly your great-grandfather CREATED Rolling Rock on his own. Hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty awesome story. Rolling Rock is great. Nice job on selecting a story like this - it definitely seems to be a cool factoid about your family. Also, I almost missed the last sentence at the end. I think 33 refers to 1933 (the year prohibition was repealed), but there are plenty of other theories out there, obviously.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is a pretty cool story as well. It was really nice that they still kept your great grandpa in the loop with things. That's neat that your family still has some of the original bottles and other things from the company. Ha that would have been awesome if you could have had free beer for life!

    ReplyDelete