Thursday, October 4, 2012

Whistlin' and Crowin' review

Even though I have lived in Appalachia almost all of my life, I still had never really thought about the culture and stereotypes that come with living here. It was not until working in Athens and Vinton County schools did I realize the uniqueness of it. Despite all the stereotypes and judgements that come with living in Appalachia, the women in Whistlin' and Crowin' Women of Appalachia prove that it is possible to be educated, and despite all the cons it is a great place to live. I learned that people of any background can earn an education as long as they find a way to do it. Most importantly I learned to be more proud of my Appalachian background and show others what makes it a great place to live.

1 comment:

  1. I have grown up on the edge of Appalachia and have always had a few stereotypes that would come to mind, but I never really thought of my self as Appalachian. Now that I am at school in Athens, I can see more of what Appalachia is all about. I agree that Sohn does a good job of proving that it is possible to get an education in Appalachia through the women she interviews.

    ReplyDelete