Tuesday, September 11, 2012

LuiLui Sushi Tuesdays

One of the things that I appreciate about OU is its emphasis on the importance of local businesses. Although we do have a Quizno's and a Wendy's on Court St, most of the on campus eateries are not food chains. Over the past two years, I've developed special relationships with each of the local stores scattered on Court. But it wasn't until recently that I tried LuiLui.
On all days of the week, LuiLui's menu has a variety of soups, salads, lunches and dinners that would satisfy even the pickiest eaters. However, I didn't walk all the way down to Station St for just your average cheeseburger. I went for SUSHI, and man, it was worth it. On Tuesday's LuiLui offers 15 varieties of sushi. The only other place that I've had sushi in Athens is China Panda, which is all the way out on State St. LuiLui is a much more convenient walk, and is a lot cheaper than China Panda. A roll of sushi runs from 5-8 dollars.

LuiLui's decor is a sort of sad attempt of a fancy restaurant. Although the tables are covered with glass, and fancy curtains are strung along the windows, you can tell that it was decorated inexpensively. The walls are covered with chipped paint, and the store is sprinkled with tacky oriental knickknacks, even though sushi is only served on Tuesdays. Although I've heard it's pretty empty on most days, it was packed around 5 on sushi night. The customers were mostly older adults, but a few groups of students were also there. The atmosphere was fairly quiet, with soft, upbeat music playing in the background. I think Athens is always in need of more local, affordable sit-down restaurants, which is probably why LuiLui is still in business. I think it's the kind of place you could take your parents when they come to visit, or a good place to go for a first date. I know I always end up taking my parents to dinner at Casa when they come to visit, so I'm looking forward to showing them somewhere else. I would highly recommend sushi night to anyone looking to try something new. My last advice is to walk, not drive there, it's a perfect distance from uptown. By the time you're home, you aren't so stuffed anymore!

1 comment:

  1. After reading about LuiLui the first thing I couldn't help but notice was how well you described the establishment. Not only did you incorporate the positive aspects but also some of the negatives as well. This really helps to set and honest stance on the place you were describing and leads me to believe that you really did enjoy your visit to LuiLui. I also appreciated how the pictures were structure it was ascetically pleasing and helped to break from the reading making it more enjoyable. Overall I thought you did a really great job and would not honestly ask you to change anything.
    P.S After reading this I might just have to check out LuiLui and try something new for a change.

    ReplyDelete