Thursday, September 13, 2012

Lake Hope



Joe Pavlik, Steve Saraniti and I visited Lake Hope, which is just outside of Athens, a couple of days ago to go fishing. We really got a sense of the nature around us as we were surrounded by a variety of animals, trees, and the lake. We could see many pine trees lining the lake, along with a few maple and oak trees. We also came across different animals. Along with the many bass we caught, we were able to spot a few different types of birds, and even saw a snapping turtle and bullfrogs.


Lake Hope in the Summertime



After a couple hours of fishing, we put our fishing poles in the car and began to hike along the trails in the surrounding woods. There is always something better about getting on your feet and seeing your surroundings rather than out of a window of a car. We were able to see the little things, such as spider webs and deer prints, which is one of the great things about nature. After trekking around for quite some time, we came across a very old tree, that must have been knocked down by a summer storm. You could see how it was now a home to many different animals, and also how massive it had become over it's long life. It was also cool to think about how it's purpose had changed. It was once a home for all types of birds, squirrels, etc, but it now on the ground and home to raccoons, bugs, groundhogs, etc. The role-reversal was something that reminded me about the cycle that life has.


It was nice to get away from the everyday noise of Athens and be in a place that was quiet and peaceful. Joe commented that we should do these trips more often, because it was nice to be outdoors surrounded by hills and trees. Overall, it was a great time, and made us all appreciate what the Athens area has to offer as far as scenery goes. We can see why people such as those that live in the Appalachian areas appreciate their surroundings and its beauty.

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the way you guys explained your time at Lake Hope. It was nice to hear about the options of just kind of relaxing and fishing, while hearing about the hiking as well. I think one more picture wouldn't have hurt, maybe of your time spent fishing or something like that. You guys represented Lake Hope well. I used to go there when i was a kid with one of my best friends and our mom's. We would swim a lot and canoe. Your blog about the lake let's people know about what's out there besides just Strouds, which is a good thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Choice! I also enjoy getting out of town and doing outdoor activities like fishing, hiking, camping and mountain biking. Lake Hope has always been on my list of places to visit while I am in Athens, but most of the time I end up at Strouds Run. It is great that you were able to make a visit to Lake Hope and share your experiences with us. I hope that I can make it there myself in the very near future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed reading about your fishing endeavors. Spending time in nature and more importantly with your friends, is something that I hold high in my life. You really did a great job in placing me at the location with your descriptive selection of words and really set the atmosphere. What I envisioned in my head was what your picture showed and I liked how you provided that.

    I liked how you guys incorporated hiking into your trip as this is a great way to get in tune with nature. Your comment about the circle of life and the role that fallen tree played in it was a pretty interesting observation as not many people would have stopped and made that connection. All in all, you provided a great atmosphere to accomplish the task at hand. Going out in nature is something I believe we should all do more often as it brings a sense of peace and serenity to life itself.

    ReplyDelete