Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Kiser's BBQ Shack



    The day after this assignment was assigned, I found myself in the car, heading to Kisers Barbeque Shack for a delicious lunch. Kisers is often seen around campus events giving away free pulled pork sandwiches at football games, and events like that. I’ve always thought their sandwiches were extremely tasty, but never had made it out to their actual location. They’re casually located inside of the mall, just a few feet away from the Dunham’s, with their doors swung wide open, ready for business. 


      I was greeted by a girl at the cashier, who sported a bit of a country accent. I couldn’t tell whether she was college aged, or still in high school. So, I placed my order, a pulled pork sandwich, of course, and made my way over to a table. The place was a little over half full, with all kinds of people. A couple families, a few older couples, and a splattering of middle aged men. I noticed a few of the middle aged men dressed in camouflage, which never fails to confuse and amuse me. It appeared to me that Kisers provided a place for a couple friends to meet up for some food. The food, which is absolutely delicious, and customers definitely represented the small town, countryside BBQ feel of Appalachian food. Since Kiser's is located out on East State Street, away from OU's campus, there's rarely many students there, which adds to their authenticity. Unlike most chains that serve similar food, the service felt unique because it was personable, and charming. 

-Sean Linstrom


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for writing about Kiser's! I've heard such good things but have never been - now I really know what to expect! Your description of the patrons and the waitstaff makes the restaurant sound comfortable and professional, and the food sounds especially appetizing. Upon Googling, I was excited to learn that the joint was, in fact, not part of a chain (at least, not yet). I'm not sure if you were aware of this or not; could you have maybe worded the last sentence differently to make that more clear?

    Great post, and thanks for sharing! Can't wait to try it.

    - Truman

    http://www.kisersbbqshack.com/about-us

    ReplyDelete