Friday, November 30, 2012

Discourse in Appalachia

I think that the current discourse about Appalachia is the same as it's always been. The bottom line is, people will not change their stereotypes on Appalachian people until they have the opportunity to meet them in person and hear THEIR perspective. We were fortunate enough to have some students from the region visit our classroom and tell us their side. I think one of most interesting points that they noted was that Appalachia is a matriarchal society. If a man hits a woman, she is expected to hit him back. When we watched Justified, Mags was the head honcho of her family and community, even though she was an older woman. I find this interesting, because in typical American culture, you would associate men as the dominant leader. On a national level, I feel that Appalachia is most popular in conversations about mountaintop removal mining. When the students came in to talk to our class, they discussed how mountains were their way of finding comfort in isolation. They stressed how mountains are an important geographical aspect of their lives, it's hard to imagine people coming in and tearing them apart.

3 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you. There will always be a negative stereotype that revolves around Appalachia. The only people outside of Appalachia that will say different are those who get to meet these Appalachian people and engage with them. I thought that having the speakers come to class was a good way to engage and understand their culture. Examining this region has made me think a lot about the way I perceive people that may come from this area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would mostly agree with you as well. However, I think that we may be starting to move away from the negative stereotype with help from books like the Hunger Games and other associated media. They are currently still prevalent, but after so many years, it is going to take some time to change.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really connected with your appraisal of how meeting people of another culture, "in person," can be the most effective way to understand said culture. Personally, I can't think of a better way to impart cultural sensitivity than with face-to-face interaction, however rare that may be. Due to your use of "Justified" as an Appalachian text, I hope I can assume that media, also, fits into your vision for greater understanding? Perhaps some kind of student-to-student video chat could be useful in this regard.

    ReplyDelete