Thursday, November 1, 2012

Athens Farmer's Market history

A Farmer's Market is a fantastic way to bring a community together. I've been to several Farmer's Market events in my hometown of Louisville, KY, and a few in other cities that I've visited on vacation. I think that they're a great excuse to meet the people who live in the area and see what kind of agriculture thrives in that particular city. The Athens Farmer's Market started in 1972 and is still growing in 2012. Athen's county is not necessarily prime-farming territory; the land is hilly, and the soil is worn due to extraction of timber and coal. However, common fruits and vegetables (and some that are more unique) can still be grown seasonally.
The Farmer's Market started with vendors selling produce in metered areas of downtown Athens. Because this created conflict with popular Athen's street vendors, the Market was moved to East State Street (by the city park, near the tennis courts) where it has stayed permanently. Each vendor was intially charged $3 a day, or $25 a season. Now, vendors are charged $80 per stall, $130 for 1.5 stalls, or $200 for two stalls. Needless to say, the Market's attendance has skyrocketed since the 1970s.
The Athen's Farmer's Market is a good way for Ohio University students to stay in touch with the Athens community outside of OU. It is brimming with community issues, live music, and delcious fruits, vegetables, and crafts from the area. I look forward to attending the Farmer's Market repeatedly during my time at OU.

5 comments:

  1. I like to go to farmer’s market when I’m on vacation with my folks. I may have to check out the one here. It’s a great way to meet people and understand more about the Athens’ community outside of the campus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Athens farmers markets and I love the idea of them. I think that its pretty rare to see them anymore since everyone just goes to the grocery store to get most of their foods. You rarely hear about farmers markets and it's great to know we have one in our very own town!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Before coming to Ohio University I had no experience with famers markets. I like how you talk about the sense of community that a farmers market can bring to a town. I too find it important to support local farmers and purchase the goods they have to offer. My experience so far with farmers markets has been a great one, particularly because their products are so authentic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mother loves the Athens farmer's market (my whole family lives in Athens). I had no idea that it started so long ago! I'll have to fill her in. And how expensive! I wonder if the vendors make that money back? It has to be worth it if they keep coming back. That's good - I'm glad the prices for a stall can still be that high and yet the market is full and busy every week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mother loves the Athens farmer's market (my whole family lives in Athens). I had no idea that it started so long ago! I'll have to fill her in. And how expensive! I wonder if the vendors make that money back? It has to be worth it if they keep coming back. That's good - I'm glad the prices for a stall can still be that high and yet the market is full and busy every week!

    ReplyDelete