Thursday, November 1, 2012

Passing Down Through Generations

     When my father was a young boy, my grandfather took him to see President Dwight D. Eisenhower (the president at the time). Being young and short, my grandfather hoisted my dad onto his shoulders to see over the crowd. They had gotten there early enough to ensure that my dad got a close view of the president. After his speech, President Eisenhower reached out with stretched arms and shook my fathers hand.
     That memory stuck with my dad forever, and he wanted me to endure that same experience. So, when I was young, about 6 at the time, my father took me to see President Bill Clinton in Columbus. We, like he had with his father, got there early enough so I could get a close view. He hoisted me onto his shoulders, and as President Clinton's speech ended, I reached out just enough to shake his hand. This is something I want to pass down; Not just the story, but the experience of being so young and small, and shaking hands with the leader of the country. 

2 comments:

  1. The story here is really cool. I like the conciseness of it all because it gives it a quiet sort of power. The subject matter is of great importance and you are lucky to have had that experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a really interesting story to me. I like that your dad did the same thing with you as your grandfather had done with him. This sounds like a great family tradition that could live on for many generations to come.

    ReplyDelete